Freelance Graphic Design Job Description
Cubicle 7 are expanding our graphics team and are looking for freelance Graphic Designers to create engaging, accessible, image rich books for digital and print publication.
This position will be home based on a freelance/contract basis. Applications are welcome from all locations. However, C7 works on GMT so you must be available during a significant portion of our working hours. Initially work will be available project by project, but long term full-time and part-time contractor positions are available for the right applicants.
Project rates will be competitive for the sector.
This role will be responsible for creating timely, accurate and attractive layout involving both text and imagery. Working with the production team, editors and existing graphics team, the role is critical to meeting our publication schedule by delivering high quality digital and print files which meet our printers requirements.
Work must be completed to a high standard and adhere to both good design principles and established brand guidelines. You will prepare rough drafts and present ideas, choosing appropriate colours, fonts and art assets. Careful adherence to file hygiene and backup practices is vital.
The creation of new templates, page styles and new graphical elements such as logos, page furniture, breaks and other design elements may also be required.
Your designs should present our text and art elements in an exciting and engaging way, holding the reader’s attention throughout substantial long form articles.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working as part of a creative team, with good attention to detail and project deadlines. A commitment to a right-first-time approach to project completion. A creative flair, good work ethic and willingness to engage well with feedback are critical.
● Experience with substantial layout and graphic design projects. Preference will be given to candidates with book or magazine layout experience and a strong supporting portfolio of previous work – please provide a link to your portfolio
● Excellent Indesign suite knowledge – InCopy, Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator.Adobe product certification is a bonus
● Experience of team working and self-management as a remote worker
● A keen eye for aesthetics and details
● Excellent communication skills including good written and spoken English
● Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines
Desirable, but not essential
● Previous experience in the tabletop games industry
● Knowledge of integrating InCopy into the InDesign workflow
● Qualification in Digital Media, Design, Fine Arts or related field
Application process –
1. Please send CV (word or pdf file only), portfolio link and two references relating to your work to:
- Please use the subject heading ‘Graphics design call 2021’. Do not send any files attached to your email apart from your CV.
- Short-listed candidates will be invited to an online interview. We will endeavour to respond to all applicants, but our applications are routinely oversubscribed, and we cannot commit to responding to all applications. We will only offer feedback to short-listed candidates.
- Successful candidates will be expected to be available from mid March 2021 onwards.